This list of resources is intended to help you learn as much as you can about substance misuse and addiction. It also specifically aims at providing you with information about how you can prevent your teen from misusing prescription opioids or using illicit opioids.
- Comprehensive list of EBooks, Guides, How-Tos from Drugfree.org
- Parent Guide
- Does my child need opioids to manage pain?
- When opioids are prescribed to your child
- Safely store and dispose medications
- Safe medicine disposal
- Medicine Take Back
- Setting limits and monitoring your teen
- Step parents can take to protect their children from alcohol and other drug use.
- Help your teen avoid drugs
- Talking to your child about drugs
- Learn more about how to best talk to your child about drugs.
- How to encourage healthy risk taking
- Positive parenting prevents drug abuse
- Learn how to help your child navigate the up and the downsides of social media.
- Recognizing warning signs – I think my child is using
- If you want to spot drug use early on
- Learn what steps to take when you think your teen or young adult is using drugs.
- Understanding opioid dependence
- Prepare to take action – I know my child is using
- What to do if you teen or young adult has a drug problem
- Teaching kids to be smart about social media
- Find a support group
- Recovery from addiction
If you are interested in learning more about alcohol and other substances, attend one of the “Be Part Of The Conversation” events near you.
>> Learn more about the principles of CRAFT to understand your child’s reasons for substance use.
>> Ask a parent who has been there – who has been affected by a child’s substance use and can help other families through similar struggles
>> Find a support group for yourself to regain the strength necessary to help your child through such a difficult time.